SearchMyBlog

17.3.11

Cliff.



So last Friday, before Dike's album launch in London, I was on Kingsland Road. Drinking a cider and smoking a cigarette - like I do. If you've never been to that part of the world before - it's mainly populated with trendy twats with more than one haircut at once (and Scissortongue). It's pretty busy and there's a lot of traffic and people coming and going.

Like I said I was drinking and smoking. In the distance, I heard a voice singing something and it was getting closer. The four lines he repeatedly sang became clearer. Within seconds he was upon me; an upright gentleman, with a contented grin on his face:

"Jesus is the answer,
For the world today,
Above him there's no other,
Jesus is the way"

I have a hard time avoiding eye contact with people - especially batshit-crazy-jesus-loving-singing-in-the-street-christians. He clocked it and gave me the full rendition. In fairness, he had an alright voice - did the big key change on the last go and the with a wink he was off. Still singing.

Dike's album launch was deep. Obviously. I didn't manage to get home for many hours. Obviously. But when I did I clocked that Cliff too believes that Jesus is the answer. And in between having christmas number ones and being the main cheerleader for rain-delays at Wimbledon, he likes to tell roomfuls of middle-aged women...

No comments:

Post a Comment